Posts for tag: Preventive Dentistry
The best way to care for your teeth is to go in to see your dentist for preventive care treatments. Preventive dentistry includes actions that keep your teeth clean, free from plaque buildup, and strong enough to withstand daily wear and tear. The dental team at Seaside Dentistry, a Virginia Beach, VA, family dentistry, will help you keep your smile clean and healthy for a lifetime.
Why Preventive Care Is Important
Preventive dental care starts early in life. The hygienic habits you learn and maintain as a child can follow you well into adulthood. Preventive care is important because it anticipates potential dental problems before they have a chance to materialize. It saves money, time, and a lot of aggravation. For instance, an orthodontic bite problem could cause a patient to have major issues with tooth damage, grinding, and enamel erosion in the future. Patients who don’t have their teeth treated with fluoride or sealants early in life are more likely to have problems with dental decay as they get older.
These are some of the most useful preventive treatments that you can have administered by a dentist at Seaside Dentistry, a family dentistry in Virginia Beach, VA:
- Regular dental cleanings (including deep cleanings along the gumline) and X-rays.
- Fluoride or sealant application (protects the enamel).
- Dental crowns applied to weakened teeth.
- Fillings for cavities (before a root canal is needed).
- Scaling and root planing to remove plaque, which is a key step in preventing gum disease.
Preventive Dentistry Tips
You can take preventative actions at home each day to reduce the chances of oral health problems in the future. Follow these basic tips:
- Eat less regular sugar and drink less sugar-based drinks (consume more water).
- Eat more cheese, calcium-rich foods, probiotic-rich yogurt, and crunchy vegetables (help keep the teeth clean).
- Brush for a minimum of two minutes each morning and night. Invest in a better quality toothbrush.
- Floss at least once or twice each day—especially after meals.
A Better, Healthier Smile
It’s always best to avoid a dental problem altogether instead of waiting until an expensive dental treatment is needed. Set aside time for preventive treatments with Dr. Jason Campbell at Seaside Dentistry, his family dentistry located in Virginia Beach, VA. Call (757) 689-4363 today to make an appointment.